Historical Monuments of the World are fascinating not just because they bear historical significance or are breathtakingly beautiful, but also because they encourage us to re-evaluate the technological excellence such monuments reflect. They also make us ponder about the kind of genius ancient architects and engineers possessed. For their cultural value, historical significance, technological and architectural excellence as well as their beauty- they are revered world over and are visited by millions of visitors every year. Although the world is full of such amazing architectural marvels, here we have cherry picked a few that we think will interest you the most. Find out-
- Hagia Sophia, Turkey– When it was first built, it used to be a basilica, and then some time later, it was converted into a mosque. Now, this beautiful monument serves as a museum.
- Petra, Jordan-Also referred to as the rose of the desert, Petra is a beautiful monument carved in the rock. From 9 B.C. to A.D. 40, it remained the capital of the Nabataean kingdom.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt– This is the biggest pyramid in Giza Necropolis. And it also happens to be the oldest of all the seven wonders of the ancient world.
- Machu Picchu, Peru – This is a city that was set up in the 15th Machu Picchu also happens to be one of the most exhilarating heritages of the Inca civilisation.
- The Colosseum, Italy– It’s a spectacular Roman heritage built in A.D. 70. Gladiators who used to fight here had thousands of spectators. The capacity of The Colosseum was around 50,000, which is pretty impressive.
- ChichénItzá, Mexico– The period spanning from A.D. 750 to 1200, saw this city as the centre of the Mayan civilisation. The most popular monument here is the temple of Kukulkan.
- WatPhra Si Sanphet, Thailand– This is a temple that is sprawling a huge area of land. It is a royal temple constructed in A.D. 1448. It is an ancient wonder that’s still preserved well.
- Moai, Easter Island – These are giant figures, which even the scientists don’t know much about – they are not sure how the figures were sculpted and brought here. It is believed that these monolithic sculptures were carved by Rapa Nui people.
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia-This is a religious monument that was constructed in the 12th It is not only the biggest Hindu temple, but also the biggest religious temple complex on earth.
- The Taj Mahal, India – Mughal emperor Shah Jahan Built this monument in memory of his deceased wife Mumtaj Mahal. Even today, Taj Mahal is considered to be the most beautiful monument in the world that epitomises love. It’s beautiful white marble structure is worth looking at.
These are some really amazing monuments of the world to be proud of. If you haven’t visited any of these, it’s high time you thought about visiting one or all of these. They are worth paying a visit at!